Our mission is to prevent the location of oil and gas developments near homes and neighborhoods in Adams County while still allowing for responsible extraction of oil and gas.
ACCDAN’s Vision for Rules regarding Large Scale Oil and Gas Facilities in Colorado
Established August 15, 2015, Adams County Communities for Drilling Accountability NOW (ACCDAN) is a non-profit organization with more than 400 supporters primarily located in the Thornton, CO, area of Adams County. ACCDAN has adopted the following vision for rules regarding large scale oil and gas facilities. This vision represents the requirements that ACCDAN would like to see incorporated into the Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (COGCC) rules regarding large scale oil and gas facilities within Colorado neighborhoods. We do not seek to stop oil and gas development, but we must ensure that it is done safely, responsibly and in a way that protects the health, safety and quality of life of the citizens of Colorado. ACCDAN strongly believes that placing a large scale oil and gas facility in a neighborhood is changing the character of that neighborhood and making it a de facto industrial area. For most homeowners, their home is their most important asset - both emotionally and financially. We believe the people most impacted by these decisions have a due process right to formal public comment including a hearing before the COGCC. ACCDAN seeks to ensure a meaningful public involvement process including formal comment and comment resolution for each and every multi-well oil and gas site to be located within or adjacent to a neighborhood. ACCDAN’s vision for rules regarding large scale oil and gas facilities in Colorado includes the following:
- Establishment of a minimum setback of 1,500 feet between any occupied residential structure and the boundary of large scale oil and gas facilities located within or adjacent to a neighborhood.
- Requirement for structured public involvement and comment periods and formal comment resolution for all siting and permitting aspects associated with large scale oil and gas facilities within or adjacent to a neighborhood – including the ability to request a hearing before the COGCC on the proposed facility.
- Clear definition of “large scale oil and gas facility” as any site where 3 or more oil and gas wells or other oil and gas site-related structures are located on one site. Clear definition of the COGCC’s term “urban mitigation area” as any neighborhood comprised of multiple homes. Urban mitigation area definition further includes any area with one or more of the following: school(s), public facility(ies), park(s) or other area(s) where members of the community congregate.
- Requirement for an independent assessment of oil and gas developer/applicants Alternative Site Analysis for proposed large scale oil and gas facilities located within or adjacent to neighborhoods.
- ACCDAN is supportive of rulemaking which is protective of the health, safety and quality of life of all citizens of Colorado and protective of water quality while preserving mineral access rights and royalties.